Home Inspection and Real Estate Forum for Home Inspectors and Real Estate Professionals
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics  
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Logo]












What is a Home Inspection?
Checklist, Narrative or combination?  XML
Forum Index » Inspection Report Writing
Author Message
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

What are your views on checklist, narrative or a combination of both?

In my opinion checklists eliminate missing items and are a lot quicker than a narrative report. Page length is shorter.

Narrative reports reduce liability and look neater. Page legnth is longer.

[Thumb - 0811150709.jpg]
 Filename 0811150709.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 584 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  446 time(s)

[Thumb - 0811150710.jpg]
 Filename 0811150710.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 594 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  409 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/11/2015 07:29 AM EDT

Chad D
Batman
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/24/2014 08:55 AM EDT
Messages: 782
Location: Marquette Heights (Peoria) IL
Offline

My report is more narrative. I've had both clients and agents comment on how they love my report for its easiness to read and accuracy for the description. If your state doesn't dictate a style (which most do not), you could trying using the Texas style report if your software has that as an option.

Chad Dunham
Eagle's Nest Inspections
Home Inspections
203K Consulting
Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Testing
Radon Testing
Mold Testing
309-323-0252
http://www.peoriailhomeinspections.com
[WWW]
HomeWorkz inspectors
RockStar!
[Avatar]

Joined: 11/23/2014 07:57 PM EST
Messages: 107
Location: Beaufort County, SC and Chatham County, GA
Offline

If its short and easy to read, narrative is better.

G. Erik Alstad
HomeWorkz Home Inspections
http://www.home-workz.com/
TheInspectionExpert.com
YourMoldExpert.com
ThePoolInspectionExpert.com
TheCondoInspectionExpert.com
843-592-8387
912-388-6581

Serving
Beaufort County, South Carolina
Chatham County, Georgia
Hilton Head, SC
Bluffton, SC
Savannah, GA
Pooler, GA
Richmond Hill, GA
[Email] [WWW]
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

Thank you both very much.
William Chandler
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/23/2014 04:28 AM EDT
Messages: 1358
Location: Florida
Offline

quick checklist for functional items - short narrative for defects

Property360, LLC
www.TheBuildingInspector.net
www.360pestpro.com
www.inspectnewhome.com
www.property360concierge.com
www.mold360.com
homeinspectionflorida.us/
jacksonvillehomeinspectionguide.com
orlandohomeinspectionguide.com
thecommercialbuildinginspector.com
ASHI Certified Inspector
Certified Master Inspector
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts"
[WWW]
Mike Casey
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/28/2014 07:21 PM EDT
Messages: 1245
Location: San Diego CA
Offline

A minor amount of checklist for functional items as noted previously, and house description (type of roof, construction, etc.) with brief narratives for conditions and direction with a time urgency if needed. Most important point first in the narrative, such as REPLACE ROOF or whatever is needed.

Mike Casey
Director of Education
Home Inspection University
www.HomeInspectionUniversity.com
www.MichaelCasey.com
[Email] [WWW]
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

William Chandler wrote:quick checklist for functional items - short narrative for defects


Gotcha William and try to have as many things checked off on report template before every inspection and then modify, when the time comes.
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

Mike Casey wrote:A minor amount of checklist for functional items as noted previously, and house description (type of roof, construction, etc.) with brief narratives for conditions and direction with a time urgency if needed. Most important point first in the narrative, such as REPLACE ROOF or whatever is needed.


Sounds good. With Michael Casey and William Chandler both telling me pretty much the same thing, I know which direction that I'm headed in. Much respect for you both.
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

As far as photos go: 1photo of the exterior for the cover photo, 1picture for the location of each shutoff (water- gas), 1 picture of the distribution panel, with dead front off and 1 picture for each major defect over $500.00

Am I right on the money, pretty close, too many pics or do I need to include anything else. I feel like I'm right on the money.
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

As far as photos go: 1photo of the exterior for the cover photo, 1picture for the location of each shutoff (water- gas), 1 picture of the distribution panel, with dead front off and 1 picture for each major defect over $500.00

Am I right on the money, pretty close, too many pics or do I need to include anything else? I feel like I'm right on the money.
DBJ Home Inspections
Beast
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/01/2015 08:43 PM EDT
Messages: 279
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Offline

maltizer wrote:As far as photos go: 1photo of the exterior for the cover photo, 1picture for the location of each shutoff (water- gas), 1 picture of the distribution panel, with dead front off and 1 picture for each major defect over $500.00

Am I right on the money, pretty close, too many pics or do I need to include anything else? I feel like I'm right on the money.


I know a lot of guys don't put in a ton of pictures, but I add a bunch of courtesy pics for my customers and they all love it. Takes me about 20 - 30 mins to get all the pics in including the defect pics, but I don't mind spending the extra time, I feel the report looks a lot nicer and my customers and agents love it, so i'm going to stick with it. I've picked up many listing agents on my inspections that were forwarded the report and called me to tell me they liked me on site and were extremely impressed with the report I made and how easy it was to understand and so forth.

Devon Morante
Office - (772) 777-1688
Cell - (954) 304-4601
dbjhomeinspections@gmail.com
www.dbjhomeinspections.com
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

DBJ Home Inspections wrote:
maltizer wrote:As far as photos go: 1photo of the exterior for the cover photo, 1picture for the location of each shutoff (water- gas), 1 picture of the distribution panel, with dead front off and 1 picture for each major defect over $500.00

Am I right on the money, pretty close, too many pics or do I need to include anything else? I feel like I'm right on the money.


I know a lot of guys don't put in a ton of pictures, but I add a bunch of courtesy pics for my customers and they all love it. Takes me about 20 - 30 mins to get all the pics in including the defect pics, but I don't mind spending the extra time, I feel the report looks a lot nicer and my customers and agents love it, so i'm going to stick with it. I've picked up many listing agents on my inspections that were forwarded the report and called me to tell me they liked me on site and were extremely impressed with the report I made and how easy it was to understand and so forth.


Devon,

I see what you're saying. Here is my confusion: newer technology is out and I agree with some of it but I am Old School thinking. When I have legends such as William Chandler, Mike Casey and George Wells, along with Mike Crow saying: Nobody is going to go through a 40 page report and a 5 page summary and to shorten it to 10-20 pages, I have to listen to them (they are my heroes, my role models). Even Nathan Thornberry says the same thing.

I really do appreciate your feedback and I will take it to heart. I want to follow in the legends footsteps listed above.
BAndrews
Liger
[Avatar]

Joined: 08/11/2015 03:27 PM EDT
Messages: 23
Location: Omaha NE
Offline

Like many I say both.
I started my business with two simple concepts; The Golden Rule - Treat everyone like you want to be treated - I've had many home inspections in my life and some of the inspectors I have used in the past seem to want to make me feel inferior, using a bunch of "technical, legal jargon" while others present things like I am a 5 year old, "Your A/C the thing that makes your house cool in the summer works just fine." (2) Provide the best service possible - We should be prepared to answer any questions our client has in terms they can understand. When I see a discrepancy I take a few pictures and explain in my report what it is I am looking at, I also identify the positives with pictures and brief narratives like, "I identified the water and Gas shutoff(s) so that in the case of an emergency you will be able to find them, easily. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself and other family members where their location is."

ON my check list I stay away from one word responses like; satisfactory, marginal, replace. My checklist responses are more like," the garage door is working properly."or "the Garage door is in need of routine maintenance."

Put yourself in the shoes of the client- and you can't go wrong. What would you want?

Bret Andrews
Total Property Inspection
(402)671-6200
[Email] [WWW]
DBJ Home Inspections
Beast
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/01/2015 08:43 PM EDT
Messages: 279
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Offline

maltizer wrote:
DBJ Home Inspections wrote:
maltizer wrote:As far as photos go: 1photo of the exterior for the cover photo, 1picture for the location of each shutoff (water- gas), 1 picture of the distribution panel, with dead front off and 1 picture for each major defect over $500.00

Am I right on the money, pretty close, too many pics or do I need to include anything else? I feel like I'm right on the money.


I know a lot of guys don't put in a ton of pictures, but I add a bunch of courtesy pics for my customers and they all love it. Takes me about 20 - 30 mins to get all the pics in including the defect pics, but I don't mind spending the extra time, I feel the report looks a lot nicer and my customers and agents love it, so i'm going to stick with it. I've picked up many listing agents on my inspections that were forwarded the report and called me to tell me they liked me on site and were extremely impressed with the report I made and how easy it was to understand and so forth.


Devon,

I see what you're saying. Here is my confusion: newer technology is out and I agree with some of it but I am Old School thinking. When I have legends such as William Chandler, Mike Casey and George Wells, along with Mike Crow saying: Nobody is going to go through a 40 page report and a 5 page summary and to shorten it to 10-20 pages, I have to listen to them (they are my heroes, my role models). Even Nathan Thornberry says the same thing.

I really do appreciate your feedback and I will take it to heart. I want to follow in the legends footsteps listed above.


I hear that and I'm on the same page, want to be like the best. I'm sure most don't go through it, I put my summary first and then the report follows so people can get what they need and if they don't want to read it they don't need to, but my agents must at least skim it because every single one always comments about how nice my reports are in comparison to everyone else, most customers too, so I'll keep it up at least for the foreseeable future.

Devon Morante
Office - (772) 777-1688
Cell - (954) 304-4601
dbjhomeinspections@gmail.com
www.dbjhomeinspections.com
Michael Altizer
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/31/2014 06:20 PM EDT
Messages: 1154
Offline

BAndrews wrote:Like many I say both.
I started my business with two simple concepts; The Golden Rule - Treat everyone like you want to be treated - I've had many home inspections in my life and some of the inspectors I have used in the past seem to want to make me feel inferior, using a bunch of "technical, legal jargon" while others present things like I am a 5 year old, "Your A/C the thing that makes your house cool in the summer works just fine." (2) Provide the best service possible - We should be prepared to answer any questions our client has in terms they can understand. When I see a discrepancy I take a few pictures and explain in my report what it is I am looking at, I also identify the positives with pictures and brief narratives like, "I identified the water and Gas shutoff(s) so that in the case of an emergency you will be able to find them, easily. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself and other family members where their location is."

ON my check list I stay away from one word responses like; satisfactory, marginal, replace. My checklist responses are more like," the garage door is working properly."or "the Garage door is in need of routine maintenance."

Put yourself in the shoes of the client- and you can't go wrong. What would you want?


Bret,

Well said. I wasn't raised to talk down to people either. I love your 2 concepts. Good rules to live by.
 
Forum Index » Inspection Report Writing
Go to:   
© 2014 Inspector Services Group